Located in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Northwest, DC, Girard Street Apartments provides apartment-style emergency shelter for 20 homeless families with children.
At their most vulnerable moment, families find safety and security. From the first day they enter our program, families begin to search for long-term housing and develop a family stability plan, which includes a wide range of supportive services and resources:
- Goal-oriented case management Assistance on finding an affordable apartment
- Connection to employment and training
- Connection to behavioral health services
- Life skills classes on parenting
- Children’s activities
- Budget and financial management
- Connection to community resources.
Access to these services comes through referrals from the Virginia Williams Family Resource Center, the central intake for DC’s coordinated homelessness assistance system for families. If you or somebody you know is experiencing homelessness or is at risk of homelessness, please contact the Virginia Williams Family Resource Center.