Youth Specialist (Full-Time)
Community of Hope (COH) is a rapidly growing, innovative, and mission driven nonprofit. We provide health care, housing, and supportive services for low-income, underserved, and homeless people in Washington, D.C. We operate three community health centers, offering medical, dental, and behavioral health care as well as birth services. We work to end homelessness by providing housing and supportive services such as employment search and training, housing search, wellness coordination, and mentoring and youth services.
Community of Hope was selected as one of the Washington Post’s 150 Top Workplaces in 2014. We received the 2012 Washington Post Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management and the 2014 Leadership Greater Washington Innovative Community Partnership Award. We were also recognized in 2012 by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as a Level 3 Patient-Centered Medical Home.
The Youth Specialist is accountable directly to the Team Coordinator who oversees his/her team. This full-time position is responsible for working with the Housing Stability Case Managers, schools, and other community resources to ensure that the children on his/her caseload receive the educational and support services needed.
Highlighted Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides case management services for up to 15 highly vulnerable youth of families currently enrolled in Home Now Program;
- Works with Case Manager and Parent(s) to perform evaluations of youth upon referral and ensure appropriate services for children;
- Works with Parent(s) and children to develop case management plans that set positive short-term and long term goals, are updated quarterly, and signed by Parent(s) and/or child;
- Makes referrals to educational, mental/physical health, social services, and community based organizations as appropriate;
- Ensures that children are enrolled or reinstated into appropriate school settings or job training programs and are compliant with court orders and treatment plans;
- Meets regularly with Housing Stability Case Managers, Wellness Coordinator, Mentor Coordinator and/or Team Coordinators to discuss client case plans and progress including relevant issues;
- Works with Housing Stability Case Managers on a weekly basis to ensure that children’s needs are reflected in case management plans and being addressed by Parent(s);
- Serves as liaison between parents and school systems to ensure that schools comply with the McKinney-Vento Homeless Act;
- Creates partnerships between neighborhood/city agencies that have children/youth programs and serves as liaison between them and COH. Provides those resources to Home Now Program;
- Makes referrals for health services to Community of Hope’s clinic as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- If applicant has a BSW/MSW degree, LSWA/LGSW or appropriate social work license obtained within 90 days of hire;
- Minimum three years’ experience working in an urban setting with high risk youth ages 3-24 preferred;
- Strong cross-cultural and interpersonal skills;
- Competent computer and internet skills;
- Ability to work well with parents as well as youth;
- Strong organizational skills;
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation, as well as proof of auto insurance, required.
We offer great benefits including:
- Medical Plans through CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield
- Dental Plans through CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield
- Vision Plans through CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield
- Life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave and holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
- And much more!
How to Apply